Monday, June 18, 2012

A little late, but blog entry from May 8, 2012

Blog Entry 08/05/2013

Beautiful Eastern Tigray...the view from my house

Back in Tigray, and I have to say, after bussing to and back from Hawassa, I really have found a new appreciation for my home way up north.  While, sure, Hawassa was beautiful, the bus ride to it was not so much (sorry to any volunteers that have their post somewhere in that vast stretch of sand and acacia trees…).  My only point is that as we stepped off the plane in Mekele after three weeks out, it was a relief to breathe in the high-elevation cool air and see the surrounding mountains (though I did miss the trees).  It was even more of a relief to be back in my town in my own house and finally cook for myself again after eating out three large meals every day (not to mention tea and coffee break twice a day every day). 
I’m not sure if I appreciate or detest this, but Ethiopians seem to be as honest and blunt as they can be about everything including your appearance, and when I got back a few different people exclaimed, “you got fat!” -I would just like to note that fat is beautiful here, thank you very much- and thank you to one particular friend who compared me to John Seena…  Also people would pull this ‘eeew’ face and ask what was wrong with my skin (sunburn, mosquitos, and bedbugs...).  While this probably should have affected me far more than it did, I did at least start back on my Insanity workout every day, and I was just announced by a friend that I’m “no longer fat”.
Anyway, moving on to work!  I think every PCV experiences those first few months when it just seems like nothing will ever work out and work is never going to happen... and then bam!  One day it just all seems to come together.  I have finally got things rolling with my high school environmental club and have met with the students and discussed project ideas for next year.  Our plan is the apply for funding to put in a well and pump system so we can start some projects; one of the largest interests we found with the club members was learning about tree varieties and benefits as well as proper tree planting techniques and maintenance for trees.  So, what I proposed was to create a club tree nursery in which we could explore all of those things.  I want to include a demonstrative forest to show all the indigenous tree species for that area, experiment with fruit trees: lime, papaya, mango trees don’t grow at this elevation, so instead I want to see about apple trees and other typically western fruit trees (plums, cherries, etc.).
Secondly, I and another volunteer, Katherine, have started a world-map project at one of my primary schools just for fun more than anything else, but it’s nice to be busy and be painting.  This particular primary school didn’t have a world map yet and I thought it was a perfect opportunity to start the project.  Then, in a few weeks we will head to Katherine’s site to help with a world map painting at one of her schools. 
Thirdly, I have volunteered for a week with Operation Smile, and NGO that works with cleft palate children to provide corrective surgery.  Next week I’ll head into Mekele and spend a week volunteering at the hospital with them which is pretty exciting to be working with such a well-known NGO.
Finally, the Tigray group of volunteers are putting together a summer camp this summer and I just met with my high school director about this and about the selection process for our campers (each PCV is bringing 3 campers from their site).  It was just really exciting to see how well the idea of the summer camp was expressed; I don’t know who was more excited about the idea, the assistant director of the high school or the potential campers!  It was just really great to see people get excited about something we’ve been working on for so long.  Later this week I’ll head back to the school to have an informational meeting those interested in attending.
So as far as work goes, that’s where I am, and I just finished another meeting with my counterpart and the head of the tree nursery site here in town about a few projects in the planning stages with them- such as composting, a seed collection bank, and getting their well repaired.

Mmmm, Doriho Wat, or Chicken Sauce; my favorite Ethiopian Dish!


Drumming for Ethiopian Labor Day!



No comments:

Post a Comment