Sunday, January 29, 2012

Finally some Photos! A few of my favorites from the past 4 months

I realized that thoughout my four months here, I have yet to upload pictures! So here, a little out of order, are some of my favorite photos from the past four months in Ethiopia; training, my new site, and Ethiopian holidays!



This was taken during the holiday of Timk'at, or the Epiphany of Christ, all the Priests parade through the streets 'moving' the church for one day to a new location with water for the baptism- First the children lead the way dancing and singing, followed by Priests with their colorful and intricately embroidered attire and umbrellas, followed by the men and their drums, and lastly, the women, all dressed in their white embroidered dresses.


Back at our training site, this river ran behind the town in a series of waterfalls. I was often told there were monkeys near the river, but, alas, I never saw any.






Well, until Tigray that is. This is my neighbor, Jackie, and the woman that owns him- he's just a baby male baboon they baught somewhere? He seems to be adapting to village life pretty well.





I think its the large amounts of hair, but jackie loves climbing up and digging through it to look for bugs. Dont worry, he didnt find any.



Another picture of Jackie and his "mom", eating wheat.






In my new town in north eastern tigray, this little waterfall is hidden down a little canyon at the bottom of the plateau my town sits on.


Coca Cola- in Ahmaric.






The freshly roasted coffee beans of a coffee ceremony. I wasnt much of a coffee fan, but I have to admit I am now!





The rural side of our training site.




Breanna and myself and our kids er caught.





Back to the festival of Tim'kat- this is of one of the groups singing and druming at the site of the new church.



1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting the pictures! It's nice to see them and very interesting to note the differences in culture and climate between Ethiopia and Niger. Hope you're doing well, I haven't been able to get a phone call to go thru for awhile!

    ReplyDelete